This is a weekly feature (most of the time) where I take a break from reading and chat about book related topics, peeves, and whatever else is on my mind.
I’m always behind on housework, always have unfinished projects, and I always have great ideas that I get excited about but don’t get to. Unfortunately, this creeps into my book world resulting in an overwhelming number of TBR books and unfinished series.
I am the worst series reader. If I could only read standalones I would, but standalones are rare and series are EVERYWHERE… and they have pretty covers and intriguing synopsis and I can’t help myself.
I read the first book or two in a series, get excited, fall in love, stalk the author…
and then it’s like…..
I don’t know what happens. Sometimes the wait for the next book is too long, but most of the time I own the next book in the series. I have every intention of starting it, but somehow get sidetracked by the sea of books on my kindle and bookshelf.
I eventually get to a point where I barely remember the previous books and would have to start all over just to finish the series. The love has usually faded, and it just doesn’t seem worth the effort….
and then I come across a new series and I’m like
After skimming through my shelves here is the short list of series I’ve never finished. Honestly, it would take a day if I listed ALL the series I’ve never finished. (P.S. If you are unfamiliar with any of these books and want to know more just click the book title and it will take you to Amazon so you can read the synopsis.). Keep in mind that not finishing these series is definitely a case of “it’s me, not you” and I would recommend the ones I have read :)
- Delirium trilogy by Lauren Oliver – I loved this series and devoured Delirium & Pandemonium; anxiously awaited on Requiem; purchased the hardcover on release day; never read it.
- Matched Triology by Ally Condie – I only read Matched (book 1) of this series. I remember enjoying it and waiting for Crossed; purchasing the hardback, but that’s where the memories stop. I couldn’t tell you when Reached even released. I can’t remember anything about this series.
- The Significance Series by Shelly Crane. This is a series that is slightly paranormal centered around the idea of soul-mates. I loved it and read Significance, Accordance, and Defiance, but somehow got lost before I made it to the last book Independence (scratch that – I see there is a new upcoming new last book, Undeniably Chosen) – Significance (book 1) is FREE – give it a try!
- Thoughtless Series by S.C. Stephens. Who doesn’t love Kellan Kyle? I devoured Thoughtless, took far too long to read Effortless, but I am so excited to get Thoughtful and rip into it… but the truth is I own a paperback of Reckless that I never finished.
- Keatyn Chronicles by Jillian Dodd – This series is so fun. I love Jillian’s writing and have immensely enjoyed Keatyn. I’ve read Book 1-5 + the novella (Stalk Me – FREE, Kiss Me – FREE, Hate Me, Adore Me 4.5, Love Me, Date Me) each leaving me wanting more. The final book, Get Me is sitting on my Kindle unopened.
- Consequences Series by Aleatha Romig – Consequences (#1) was a little slow for me. If it hadn’t been for the ending, I would have never continued it. I fell more in love with Truth (#3). I own the paperback, ebook, and audio version of Convicted (#3), but have had 4 hours left on the audio version for months. I’m not sure why, I really want to know what happens, but the timing has just been off I guess.
- The Lux Series by Jennifer Armentrout – I’m not normally into aliens, but this series was a hook line, and sink her… at least for the first two books. I don’t know where I made a wrong turn when heading to finish the rest of the series. (Obsidian, Onyx, Opal, Origin)
- Rush Too Far Series by Abbi Glines – Oh, Rush. Love him. What happens to Rush and Blaire? I’ll probably never know because I only read 2 of the 4 books (Fallen Too Far, Never Too Far, Forever Too Far, Rush Too Far)
- Emi Lost & Found Series by Lori Otto – I have gotten more recommendations for this book than any other. I started with the prequal, Not Today, But Someday – FREE and enjoyed it. Lost & Found (book 1) ends in a cliffhanger and I nearly ripped Time Stands Still book 2 apart trying to find out what happened. I made it a couple of chapters and had to take a break to get myself together. I meant for it to be a day, but it’s been 6 months or more. I still have to finish it, and then read Never Look Back. Not today, but one day I will.
- The Fixed Trilogy by Lauralin Paige – I loved the main character of this series and the chemistry between her and Hudson was off the charts.. so why haven’t I finished book 3? I have it.
- The Night Owl Trilogy by M. Pierce – Holy book hangover! The epilogue in Night Owl was off the charts and I feel like I spent almost a year waiting for Last Night. I even stayed up until midnight to purchase it. Yet it still sits on my Kindle.. unopen. It makes no sense really.
- The Secret/The Coincidence Series by Jessica Sorenson – I love her writing, enjoy her characters, but her series can seem neverending. I’m not even sure where I am at in these series, but anytime I get around to reading the next in one I fall back in love. I’ll remember why I read it and get excited about the next one, but it takes several months before I dig in again.
Now, I know what you’re thinking. Has she ever finished a series? The answer is YES! Only a few, but still there have been some series that a natural disaster wouldn’t distract me from:
Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L. James
The Twilight Series by Stephenie Meyer (Ok, I may have skimmed the last book)
Am I the only one out there with this issue? How do you overcome this? What are some series you haven’t finished?